Fugitive armed robber fights police after being stopped from buying a video game


A thug launched a vicious attack on police after he was stopped on his way to buy a video game before it emerged he was an escaped prisoner.

When Clint Butler and a friend were quizzed by officers on why they were in Birmingham city centre they said wanted to buy Call of Duty because they couldn’t sit around’.

Shocking footage shows the pair being stopped before Butler kicks one officer.

He had to be restrained by cops using incapacitant spray and arreste.

Butler initially gave them a false name before he admitted who he was and that he’d absconded from Spring Hill open prison in Buckinghamshire where he had been serving a 17-year extended sentence.

He had been locked up for crimes including robbery and firearms offences and was due to be released 2024.

But he fled the prison at around midnight on November 28 last year, and was listed as wanted by Thames Valley Police which urged the public not to approach him if they saw him.

PCs Mark Owen and Allison Brow stopped the pair on January 13 after noticing they had changed direction when they spotted the officers

Butler lashed out and kicked the officer in the groin forcing them to tackled him as they called for back-up.

He also punched PC Brown in the face and became trapped under him at one point.

The officers used incapacitant spray before Butler finally gave up and was handcuffed, as security guards came to help the officers.

He initially gave a false name, and admitted having cannabis on him, but police established his real identity and he’s now back behind bars.

He was jailed for 13 months for absconding from prison, and six months consecutively for assaulting the officers.

Supt Nick Rowe from West Midlands Police said: “This was great work by our officers, acting on instinct that there was something not quite right and then challenging the men.

“The situation escalated really quickly, but both PCs put their training to good effect by restraining Butler, subduing him and getting him safely in handcuffs, while also calling for back-up from officers nearby.

“I’d like to thank the security staff who came to help our officers.

“It also shows the power of body-worn video, with the officers turning their cameras on before they started speaking to the men. It meant the whole episode was clearly caught on camera and there was no doubt about what happened.

“Quite why he decided to risk being returned to prison by making the idiotic decision to come into town during lockdown with a friend to buy a video game will remain a bit of a mystery.”